- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons Sweetener of Chocie
- ½ cup sour cream
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed, plus extra for greasing
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- Finely grated zest of 3 lemons (1 tablespoon)
- 1⅓ cups Almond Flour
- 1¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup Powdered Swerve
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Grease the loaf pan(s) and line with parchment paper, then set aside.Place the eggs and Sweetener in the bowl of an electric mixer with the whisk attachment in place and whisk on medium-high speed for about 2 minutes, until pale and frothy. Add the sour cream and continue to whisk for about 2 minutes, until the mixture has combined.
- In the meantime, melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat, stir in the poppy seeds and lemon zest and set aside. Sift the Almond flour, baking powder and salt together into a bowl, then use a rubber spatula to fold this into the egg mixture before folding in the butter, poppy seeds and zest.
- Spoon the mixture into the loaf pan(s) so that it rises three-quarters of the way up the sides. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 55 to 65 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Do not open the oven door to check the cake during the first 45 minutes of baking.
- To make the glaze, whisk the Powdered Swerve with the lemon juice in a bowl. Pour the glaze over the top of the cake as soon as it comes out of the oven, spreading it over the top so that it sinks in and creates a nice coating. Set aside to cool for 30 minutes before removing from the pan. Leave to come to room temperature before serving.
2 thoughts on “Lemon and Poppy Seed Cake”
I love lemon pastries! This sounds very delicious. Thanks for sharing this great recipe! Following your blog for more great recipes. I made veggie loaf for dinner and it turned out amazing, so here is the link if you’d like to give it a try 🙂
Thank you! I followed you and the Veggie loaf looks interesting. the eggs bring it together to make a higher protein.
LikeLiked by 1 person