This tasty salad is a mixture of nutritious vitamins from lettuce and grape tomatoes, and offers healthy fats, too. Best of all, it’s vegan, offers a good amount of fiber from the chickpeas, and helps promote sleepiness if you’ve been staying up too late.
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas (drained, rinsed and dried)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 ears sweet corn (kernels removed)
- ½ cup fresh salsa
- ¼ cup plain almond milk yogurt (TRY: Kite Hill or Silk)
- ¼ cup chopped, fresh cilantro leaves
- 5 ounces mixed lettuce greens
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado (peel and pit removed, thinly sliced)
- 12 mini red, yellow and orange sweet bell peppers (seeded and sliced)
- Preheat oven to 450° F. In a medium bowl, place chickpeas, oil, cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika and salt; toss until well coated.
- Spread chickpeas on a baking sheet and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until brown and crunchy. Watch carefully so as not to burn the chickpeas (stir halfway through).
- Heat a skillet over medium heat; spray with nonstick cooking spray and heat corn kernels until browned.
- In a small bowl, combine salsa, yogurt and cilantro; set aside. In a large bowl, toss mixed greens with lime juice. Divided mixed greens among four serving bowls. Placing ingredients in piles, top each salad with a quarter of the tomatoes, avocados, sliced peppers, corn and chickpeas. Place dollops of the salsa-yogurt mixture on salads.
PER SERVING (about 2 cups): 312 cal, 9g fat (6g mono, 2g poly, 1g sat), 0mg chol, 545mg sodium, 48g carb (12g fiber, 9g sugars), 11g protein