- 4½ cups almond flour, or more as needed
- ⅓ cup Sweetener of choice
- 1 tablespoon xanthan gum
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup butter, cold, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons Unsweetened Milk of choice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream, for glaze (or 1 beaten egg)
- 1 tablespoon xylitol (or equivalent sweetener), for topping
- Preheat oven to 325F. Line a 18″x13″x1″ baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add dry ingredients to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until blended.
- Whisk together egg and other wet ingredients in a small bowl :Set aside.
- Add butter to the processor bowl and pulse until butter is the size of small peas (about 7 or 8 1-second pulses). Slowly pour the wet ingredients through the feed tube while pulsing until a soft dough is formed.
- Transfer dough to a wooden board and knead just until the dough comes together. If dough is sticky, sprinkle with a small amount of almond flour and knead briefly, repeating if necessary, until dough is soft but not sticky. Place the dough on a sheet of plastic wrap and pat into a disc about 6″ diameter. Wrap with plastic and place in refrigerator for 30 minutes to chill.
- Sprinkle about a tablespoon of almond flour on the board (or a piece of parchment paper) and place the chilled disc of dough on top. Roll out to an even thickness of about 1¼”. Using a biscuit cutter ( if you dont have a biscuit cutter use a glass) about 2″ in diameter, cut out a scone. Very gently push the dough out of the cutter and place scone on the prepared baking sheet. Continue to cut out and place scones on baking sheet, leaving space between them to spread during baking. Gather scraps of dough, roll, cut out, and repeat until all of the dough is used. You should have about 14 scones.
- Brush tops with heavy cream (or beaten egg) and sprinkle with Sweetener of choice. Place sheet pan on the middle rack and bake until tops are golden brown, 20-25 minutes, turning baking sheet halfway through cooking time.
- Remove pan from oven and let cool 20 minutes before transferring scone to wire rack to cool completely.
Options – you can make this savory by only using egg or using butter and sprinkling with rosemary salt
One thought on “Almond Flour Scones”