- 1 large globe eggplant or any variety
- salt and ground pepper
- olive oil
- 2 shallots
- balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
2. Peel the eggplant and cut into 1-inch cubes. Place the eggplant in a baking dish, season liberally with salt and pepper, and toss with a generous drizzle of olive oil. Sprinkle with a few tablespoons water, cover tightly with foil, and bake in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until very soft.
3. While the eggplant is baking, peel and dice the shallots very fine. Let them macerate for at least 10 minutes in about 2 tablespoons of the vinegar. Peel and mince the garlic and add it to the shallots and garlic. When the eggplant is done, remove the foil, add the shallot and garlic mixture to the pan (or transfer it all to a separate bowl) and mash it all together with a fork. Let it cool to room temperature.
4. Stir in the chopped parsley Salt and pepper as needed.
Options – Can be sprinkled with some olive oil and topped with Kalamata olives and Feta
Eat just as a salad, with Pita, Crackers or as a veggie dip.