- 1 Can Chickpeas/Garbanzo Beans or 3/4 Cup Dried
- 2 Tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons of Tahini (sesame paste)
- 3 Tablespoons of Lemon Juice
- ¼ Teaspoon of Salt
- Pinch of Cumin
- Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Clover of Garlic
- 1 Sprig of Chopped Parsley
- Toasted Sesame Seeds ( Optional)
1) If using dried chickpeas first soak them for ten hours in roughly three times their volume of water. Drain them thoroughly and then cover in a pot with cold water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 1 hour. Then drain and wait to cool.
2) If using Canned chickpeas it’s much faster. Drain and rinse thoroughly with cold water.
3) Peel and finely chop the garlic
4) Add the chickpeas (save a few for optional decoration), olive oil, tahini, lemon juice and salt into the blender or food processor and blend into a fluffy paste. If the hummus looks to dry add a little more oil and lemon.
5) Place in a serving bowl, add a pinch of cumin and stir.
6) Create a Twirl effect in your bowl of hummus with a spoon and then drizzle olive oil on top as shown in the picture above.
Serve with fresh, warm Alternative pita bread From Western Bagel
For a little extra kick you can Add in 1 fresh chilli (Minced) into the blended mix. You can also experiment with toppings and seasoning.